RE: You must be hard up for clients....

by "Jason Brett" <jbbrett(at)zigzagnet.com>

 Date:  Wed, 19 Apr 2000 07:46:59 -0400
 To:  <jay_strickland(at)pobox.com>,
"'Rachel Hartman'" <rhartman(at)io.com>,
<hwg-business(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Jay,

I read your response with great interest. I've got a good way to combat that
fear that you suggested. When I sign a new client I quote them a price, and
require a 50% deposit up front. My contract guarantees that if they are
unhappy with the website, they don't pay me the final 50% until they are
happy. But their pages don't go into a "live" environment until I receive
final payment.

The deposit is non-refundable. (My profit is built into the final payment,
my expenses paid up front!)

This prevents someone from being able to take my client away in such a way
as you described, because unless I just really stink at my job, they aren't
going to be willing to forfeit their deposit. My contract guarantees to get
it right for the client, and my labor and costs are covered in case the
client (heaven forbid) gets hit by a bus the day I finish the site.

Regards,

Jason Brett
ZigZag Internet Solutions
Powerful Solutions. Explosive Results.