RE: Managing Client Expectations (was: Customers)

by "Michael Cage" <mcage(at)michaelcage.com>

 Date:  Tue, 12 Mar 2002 13:11:28 -0500
 To:  "'Brandon Coughlin'" <bcoughlin(at)urx.com>,
"'HWG-Business(at)hwg.org'" <hwg-business(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Brandon & List Members,

You have been given some great advice about contracts (Ivan H. has been
around these parts forever in net years, eh?) and processes for handling
clients, payments, and releasing work.  I'd like to add a little bit to
the discussion.

There is another aspect to it that a lot of people miss -- managing the
expectations of your clients so they a) willingly comply with your
demands, b) don't complain or attempt to renegotiate after they have
agreed, and c) actually perceive your processes as an advantage to
them...not a hindrance.

Let me give an example based on your situation.

How about we start with not releasing client work until full payment has
been received.

The first thing to do is called a "preframe." =20

Essentially, you want to explain to the client how *you* want them to
perceive the issue before they have even thought to ask a question about
it.  In other words, do not bury the process in a contract without
mentioning it verbally and obtaining agreement first.

So how do you turn not releasing their work until full payment has been
received into a benefit for the client? =20

I'd usually do something like this (with Brandon as the "client" or
"prospect")...

*** start (very) rough conversation

Brandon, unfortunately I seem to be "cleaning up" after shoddy web
development companies a lot these days. And one of the problems I see
over and over again is how they do not live up to the expectations of
the client, or don't complete the work the way the client wants.=20

Sometimes they already have all the money and have taken off for the
hills -- at least it seems that way when these clients try to contact
them to do what they promised in the beginning.=20

Now, I am fanatical about OVER delivering on what we agree. But words
are only worth so much, Brandon, action is worth much more. So, I have a
policy that protects you 100% from even having to consider these kinds
of problems -- after the work is done I'll (give you access, provide you
a printout, whatever) of everything I have done for you. I'll also give
you the checklist of (features, whatever) we decided upon to show you
how each one was completed. Only once you say, "Michael...I'm thrilled,
you have done everything as agreed!" will I accept the final payment and
(publish, turnover, whatever) the site.

Blah, blah, blah...

*** end (very) rough conversation

There is a second key in there: a "reason-why."  Pretty simple concept,
really.  Do NOT say, "I am putting this policy in effect from keep
screwball clients from cheating me!"  Instead, give a logical reason WHY
you are doing this put in terms that BENEFIT the client.  This is
particularly powerful if you use a brief example of what happens if the
policy (or whatever) is not in place.

You'll find that clients will quickly (eagerly) accept things like the
above -- and it gives you an easy way to differentiate (position)
yourself as a superior alternative to the competition, if ya want.

Make sense?

There is a lot more to this topic.  Unfortunately, I only have about 7
minutes to type this post, and that time is just about up.

As food for thought, consider how you could manage expectations in such
a way that a client sees a 48 hour return call/email policy as
advantageous over another consultant who says they have a cell phone,
beeper, blackberry, and tin-can-with-a-string with them 24 hours a day
to hold the clients hand and tie their shoes if necessary.

And...

With some specific additions and a few other tools, it can also be a
great tool to eliminate "commodity" pricing or "price competition" in
favor of premium pricing that is embraced by a client.

That's all for now. =20

Enjoy,
Michael Cage

HWG Web Developers -- Get your Free Special Advisory that reveals "How
To Get More High-Quality, High-Paying Clients In A Month Than You Are
Used To Getting All Year!" by visiting:
  http://www.techprofitsadvisory.com/hwg1/=20