Re: domain admin (was Unscrupulous Webmasters)

by "Michael Schultz" <mike(at)virtualtech.com>

 Date:  Sat, 4 Nov 2000 19:47:52 -0600
 To:  "Ken Lanxner" <klanxner(at)home.com>,
<hwg-business(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
OK, have to respond to this to defend the reason why we register domains the
way we do...

For those who missed my earlier post:

<snip>
On the registration subject... we too are a reseller for a major hosting
provider in addition to the design end of things.  This is how I register
domain names:

Owner - client's company name/address
Admin Contact - client rep (can be a title instead of a person)
Tech Contact - us
Billing Contact - client rep again

This way, the client has control down the road if they want to move the site
etc.  but since we are listed as the tech contact we (1) can make any
changes the client requests (saving the client a lot of headaches) and (2)
are kept informed if the client chooses to make a change.
</snip>

We too are a partner with the hosting company we are a reseller for.  We are
proud of the relationship we have with our hosting provider and make
absolutely no secret of the fact that we are a reseller for them (in fact we
feature their logo and a link to them on our site).  However, our reseller
agreement clearly states that we, as the reseller, are the "go-between"
between the hosting provider and the end client.  If our client wishes to
contact our provider directly they are more than free to do so... however,
our provider greatly prefers that we handle all service inquiries from our
clients and pass them on to our provider.  This is the main reason we
register ourselves, and not our provider, as the Tech contact for domains.

Michael Schultz
Vice President of Operations
Virtualtech Web Site Design and Promotion http://www.virtualtech.com
(800) 474-7001