Re: dsl contract?

by "Les Jones" <lcjones(at)mis.net>

 Date:  Mon, 10 Apr 2000 20:50:10 -0400
 To:  "Timothy G. Embler" <hwg(at)myrealbox.com>,
"HTML Business List" <hwg-business(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Tim,

I deal with GTE and ADSL everyday. It's quite possible, if you chose a
special installation package, that a service agreement was committed to in
order to received a discounted installation charge or perhaps a free ADSL
modem. I do know that on the GTE web site (www.gte.com/dsl ), if you read
the fine print, a minimum one year service agreement is required to receive
certain amenities, such as an ADSL modem. Though GTE "does not" issue a
document for you to sign, by agreeing to the service, you are in essence,
agreeing to their  service agreement.

Be sure your "ISP" did not require a service agreement!!!!

Having said that.... I've found GTE to be fairly responsive to my clients
needs. I've had several clients move out of a GTE-ADSL service area and they
have been released of any agreement.

It's worth a shot to call your GTE representative (or the telco providing
ADSL ) for a release. Explain, that you do want ADSL when it becomes
available in your new location and then (possibly) commit to the ADSL
service in some fashion. Keep in mind, though you may be only one customer,
the Telcos DO NOT want bad press about their respective ADSL services.

Good Luck!

Les Jones
Mikrotec Internet Services
lcjones(at)mis.net