Re: Investigating the possibility of on-line publishing

by "Roger Stenning" <roger(at)isgwds.enterprise-plc.com>

 Date:  Tue, 14 Nov 2000 22:47:24 -0000
 To:  <hwg-business(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Jonathon -

>        You are going to have to come to the realization that no matter
> what product you are providing, software, music, online publications,
> role-playing books, is going to end up being pirated over the internet if
> it's any good.

Yeah; we've come to that conclusion already; PDF merchant only protects from
source to destination. There's naff all that one can do about illegal
copying and distribution of the material, once decrypted - I'm told by a
SysAd mate of mine that it's damned easy to crack PDF password protection,
according to information he's come across over the last year. Pity.

>        Being as you are not going to be publishing the books off the
> internet, then you really have no way (unless you make everyone purchase a
> license) to keep track of who paid for what and when.  It's going to
> happen no matter what steps you take.  As with most Warez sites,
> they have disclaimers saying that the software is there for 'review'
> and should be deleted within x days.  As everyone knows, this is
> a joke and Warez sites are just a distribution for pirated software.

True, unfortunately.

>        My suggestion to you is simple:  Don't worry about it.  You will
> still get loyal roleplayers who will pay for the books (being a loyal
> roleplayer myself.)

Well, we're now looking at a two stage approach: A 'lite' freeware version,
as well as a and treeware (print on demand) product, or working with an
existing publisher to get it released treeware as well. Both are options.
We'll see, anyhow, as we're still in late alpha at this time.

Everyone - thanks for the help and advice - I mioght not have liked the
result, but once again, good information came from this list! Well done, and
again, thanks!

Best regards,

Roger Stenning
Organiser, The Millennium's End Future History Continuation Project.
http://www.the-isg.co.uk/gcme/me_hist-continue.html.
Webmaster, The Impossible Scenarios Group
www.the-isg.co.uk
ICQ: 74721632
UK Amateur Radio call sign: G1LIW
(PGP public key available on request)
LEGAL DISCLAIMER: The views expressed in this message may not
be those of the ISG. The information in this email and in any
attachments may be confidential and/or privileged. If you are not the
intended recipient, you should not retain, copy or use this email for
any purpose, nor disclose all or any part of its content to any other
person - you should also destroy this message, delete any copies
held on your systems and notify the sender immediately.