Re: midis on a business site

by "Ezra S F" <efreelove(at)yahoo.com>

 Date:  Tue, 2 May 2000 16:53:44 -0400
 To:  "HWG Business" <hwg-business(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Sherill,
As much surfing as I do, I had to get speakers because of my not so unique
surfing style. Typically I surf using multiple windows. Sites with sounds
(midi or wav) would pop up an error that would get hidden behind the window
whenever I click outside the error message. Since I multi-task and typically
do not even know the error was there, I would miss it. The really tricky
part is that I could not go to any other links until I acknowledged the
error. Only after several months of this did I figure out that I had to find
the window trying to give me sound and move it out of the way so I can see
the error message and acknowledge it.

At the time I did not test it in IE to find out if it handles the messages
better.

My suggestion? Avoid sounds, especially midi unless that is the
business/purpose of the site. In that case, provide links to the sound files
and do not use them as background music.

Ezra Freelove
VSU Assistant Webmaster
912-333-5974
efreelove(at)yahoo.com