Re: Dilemma

by "Bob Webb" <bobwebb2(at)webbcounsel.com>

 Date:  Sat, 5 May 2001 17:44:24 -0400
 To:  <hwg-business(at)hwg.org>,
"N S" <classactdesign(at)yahoo.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Whether you can or cannot link to these sites depends upon 3 criteria, and,
unfortunately, you probably need to consult a lawyer in your state to get
accurate advice.
You will need to consider:
1) Contractual Restrictions that you may be bound by - either (i) in a
contract/partnership agreement with your former employer, or (ii) in
contracts between the former firm and clients whereby the former firm agreed
not to use or disclose its work/role on those sites (and, presumably, but
its not always the case, either the client had all persons working the
account agree to be bound by that or you have a contractual or state law
obligation to abide by that agreement).
2) State law - is there a state law restriction?  Each state is different,
but in most states, if the information is classifiable as a "trade secret"
or "proprietary/confidential information" you likely have a duty under law
to preserve it.  It the case of web site design, however, if the sites are
open and, if as is often the case, the site bears a "designed by xyz"
legend, the former firm will probably have a hard time establishing that
this is a trade secret.
3) Your resources to fight.  Even if you are correct, if your former firm
has extensive funds and you don't, can you afford to get tied up in
protracted litigation that consumes your time and money, even if it is
likely you will eventually prevail.

Your best bet is to consult an attorney in your state who does a lot of
employment law counseling, and follow his/her advice.  You can control your
cost if you first gather copies of all relevant agreements that you may have
signed.