RE: how do you handle this? (was Re: e-commerce Start Up Tips Needed)

by "David L. Semans" <dsemans(at)linkny.com>

 Date:  Fri, 14 Apr 2000 00:27:08 -0400
 To:  <hwg-business(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Don't say that you can do it and then go home/back to your office and try to
figure it out.  I made that mistake earlier (over a year ago) and I am still
paying for it.  Promise less than you can deliver.  Deliver more than you
promised.  Bill for what you are worth.
The key to all of this is recognizing the difference between selling your
services and doing the work.  Try to separate the two steps and you will be
better off.  Try to impress the _potential_ client by showing them what you
_can_ do.  Impress the _committed_ client, the one who has already "bought",
by showing them you can do what you _said_ you can do.
It is tough not to be a continual people pleaser and promise the moon, but
it isn't realistic.  It makes for bad customer relations down the road.  It
ends up costing you far too much.
All of this being stated IMHO,
David L. Semans