Re: same company name, who gets domain name?

by "Bob Webb" <bobwebb2(at)webbcounsel.com>

 Date:  Fri, 6 Jul 2001 00:53:36 -0400
 To:  <hwg-business(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Your client did not do everything by the book.  They are confusing domain,
trade, business names and rights thereto.  They should consult an attorney
(with trademark experience) in their state.  For a basic discussion, I have
a portion of my "under development" web site which discusses this type
issue: see http://www.webbcounsel.com/name.htm

Its possible that 1,000 [or more] businesses could each have the same name,
each have bona fide rights to use it as they use it [in a defined geographic
region and for a specific type or types of business -  witness all the
"AAA - _____" named businesses.  Yet in that case--only one gets the domain
name - in that case its a first come, first serve basis. But others could
legitimately have .org, .net, /tv, /biz....variations.

The strongest protection is to get a federal trademark and be prepared to
sue anyone whose comes close to infringement.