Re: For your perusal

by "BlueBird WebDesign" <webmaster(at)bluebirdwebdesign.com>

 Date:  Mon, 26 Aug 2002 15:46:53 -0700
 To:  "hwg-business" <hwg-business(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Oh boy, Rob, you did what I won't face yet. Did you take a look at it in
Netscape 4.5? --totally destroyed. Since there are still so many people
using that old thing, is that a way you'd like your business represented? I
think I will be sticking with tables for layout until old Netscape finally
finds a rest somewhere.

It states in the Priority 2 Checkpoints for accessible content:

"5.3 Do not use tables for layout unless the table makes sense when
linearized. Otherwise, if the table does not make sense, provide an
alternative equivalent (which may be a linearized version)."

"5.4 If a table is used for layout, do not use any structural markup for the
purpose of visual formatting."

In the Priority 3 Checkpoints it states:

"AND IF YOU USE TABLES

5.5 Provide summaries for tables.
5.6 Provide abbreviations for header labels.
10.3 Until user agents (including assistive technologies) render
side-by-side text correctly, provide a linear text alternative (on current
page or some other) for ALL tables that lay out text in parallel,
word-wrapped columns."

I find it helpful to check sites with table layout in a "talking" browser
known as: "IBM Home Page Reader." You'd be surprised that some sites with
table layout read just fine.

At this point, I'm afraid to use CSS for positioning until I see more
consistency in its cross browser support. If I can't work it out with a
table, I'll use an alternative text equivalent page.

Lauren --buuuuuk, buuk, buuk, buuk, buuk...