Re: tobacco sales

by "T. Floyd" <jflyer(at)brunnet.net>

 Date:  Wed, 3 May 2000 08:15:23 -0300
 To:  <hwg-business(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
This is certainly an intriguing issue, since most tobacco is legal in most
places for most people to purchase, it seems to me that unless the vendor is
in some sort of specialty niche, then likely a rather large number of his
clients may be attempting to buy when they should not for one reason or
another.

Of course one big difference between snagging Mom or Dad's credit card
number to access a porn site versus buying an actual product is the issue of
delivery.  The porn content is generally delivered immediately, while a
product will take a certain amount of time and introduces the risk for the
child that a parent or guardian will receive it instead.

I think of these things because I have pre-teen children who can already
think up ways to get into trouble that I would NEVER have dreamed up.  Even
eternal vigilance may not be enough.

I guess, although tobacco products are legal, I would have a small moral
issue with selling them at all, and I think that the age verification issue
could become a huge technical/legal issue very quickly.  Would one have to
use an age verification system of some sort?  That would tend to associate
the vendor with porn sites, which he or she may or may not want.  Also there
is the HUGE issue of remitting taxes, and the fact that the legal age to
purchase can vary so much from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.  Overall, nope,
I don't think it would be worth the hassle.

T. Floyd
--
T. Floyd
admin(at)pineloft.com