Re: sole proprietors, what do you call yourself

by "Bob Webb" <bobwebb2(at)webbcounsel.com>

 Date:  Fri, 9 Mar 2001 13:21:45 -0500
 To:  <hwg-business(at)hwg.org>,
<klmibus(at)earthlink.net>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I'm an attorney and your accountant is not correct, that's an example of the
type of erroneous advice you may get when you seek advice from someone not
expert in a particular area.   As an attorney, I'm not at all uncomfortable
advising clients to use whatever titles they want.  I also recommend,
however, that when you sign any contract or legal instrument you use the
full name (as depicted on the charter filed with the stateof organization),
followed by the appropriate state law suffix [Inc, Ltd, Corp, LLC, LP, LLP,
LLLP, etc, then the phrase = " a ______[state of formation--e.g. Virginia,
Delaware] _______[type of entity-e.g corporation, limited liability company,
etc.]

If you do not use a business entity at all,you really should consider
operating as a single owner limited liability company.  For IRS purposes,
those are generally treated as "disregarded entities" [i.e. no separate tax
returns, you file and report in all respects as a sole proprietor], but for
state law purposes you have a liability shield and the advantages for trade
purposes of trading as an entity.  That is a very simple entity to form,
most states provide the form for free on the website of the Corporation
Commission/Secretary of State [in Virginia its
http://www.state.va.us/scc/division/clk/forms/llc1011.pdf
you fill in 4-5 blanks, pay a nominal filing fee and then have liability
protection.  Most state laws require a local registered agent, so you will
probably want to form one in the state you reside in so that you can serve
in that role yourself, or you can pay an attorney or similar service corp. a
fee (most range from $100-$300 per year).

The laws are different from state to state, though, so usually its not a bad
idea to seek a local business law attorney for advice and to be your
registered agent.  Also, by establishing a relationship with an attorney,
you then have someone to call if you get sued, as opposed to having to find
an attorney when you are under the pressure to respond to a law suit (most
states only allow 21 days to respond, so folks without counsel often end up
being represented by the first lawyer they could find to take the case as
opposed to someone with familiarity with their business and/or expertise in
the claim at issue.