Re: Using magazine articles

by "Pamela Shorey" <palema(at)galaxyinternet.net>

 Date:  Sat, 21 Jul 2001 07:35:46 -0400
 To:  <hwg-business(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original

Hi all,

> Second, the author's permission is not what you need to shoot for.  The
> author doesn't own the work, the magazine does.

This depends on whether it was done as "work for hire" or, as is often done,
some specified rights are sold, in which case the author retains the
copyright. But if you contact the magazine, I expect they'll let you know
whether they own the rights.

>  If you write 'copy' for a
> client's website, that 'copy' belongs to the company, not to you.

That depends on the agreement.

You may need advice from an attorney to be on the safe side.

Regards,
Pam Shorey