Re: Open Letter To Ivan (was RE: Collecting Information From Clients)

by "Steve Mount" <steve(at)saltyrain.com>

 Date:  Sat, 16 Sep 2000 19:37:11 -0400
 To:  "Jason Brett" <jbbrett(at)zigzagnet.com>,
"Ivan Hoffman" <ivan(at)ivanhoffman.com>,
"Nick Ciantro" <nc(at)pyrotechsystems.com>,
"HWG Business List" <hwg-business(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> However, more often than that, I have watched you respond to questions
with
> shameless self-promotion that rises to the level of being considered (by
me)
> as Spam. The question to which you most recently responded was an
excellent
> question regarding technologies or products which may be available to help
> Nick's company accomplish a task. Although this list was not really the
> right list for the question (should go to HWG-techniques), nowhere did he
> pose a question about legal or ethical issues. Your response, IMO, was off
> topic and disrespectful in its blatent disregard for the question at hand.

I disagree ... it is like saying that when answering a question about the
mixing of fuel oil and fertilizer to make a big bomb it is off topic to note
that the mixing of  such things is dangerous and illegal.  The question was
about amounts and ratios, but the best answer is "don't do it" ... or at
least "if you do it, be sure you're aware of this and this and this."

The gathering of information from anyone on the Net, if you area located in
the US at least, is more than just a technical question.  It may be easy to
do, and there may be tools to do it, but you need to be aware of the
peripheral consequences or you set your self up for a big potential problem
down the road.  Ivan offers a pretty comprehensive set of articles on his
site and, yes, he does charge fore his services if he needs them.  But aside
from that, his message was no more spam than your signature (or mine,
disclaimers duly noted).