Re: The state of the web developing biz.

by "Said Rouhani" <info(at)srwebcreations.com>

 Date:  Mon, 27 May 2002 17:44:09 -0400
 To:  <hwg-business(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hello,

My first posting to this list.

Alright you people, here's my honest opinion about sales,
for those of you who want to be/become successful business
people:

Sales is not a "necessary evil" - it is a magnificent,
constructive, confidence-building skill, that, once you
master it, will greatly enhance your enjoyment of life! And
it's good for your bank account, of course.

Those who think they can get along without sales skills,
especially in the Web design business, are kidding
themselves. If you hate sales, you will simply make far less
money than you could be making. An attitude of hate towards
sales is truly one of the most destructive for the
entrepreneur (especially the solo entrepreneur). You must
get over your negative attitude towards sales, and develop
ENTHUSIASM for it!

Furthermore... sales is not something you're "born with", as
most people think (and use as an excuse to justify their
poor sales skills). You can teach yourself, and BECOME a
great sales person. The key to becoming great in sales?
Self-development. Desire as the spark, then it's all about
reading, reading, reading, practising, practising,
practising - and most importantly: persistence. It wont be
easy, but neither is anything else worthwhile.

Pick up a copy of "The Greatest Salesman in the World", by
Og Mandino, if what I just said struck a cord with you.

Sincerely,

Said Rouhani

P.S. Truly successful sales people are nothing like the
"used car salesman" stereotype.

P.P.S. Check out http://www.nightingale.com for great
personal development material (be sure to check out "The
Psychology of Winning", by Dennis Waitley).