Re: The state of the web developing biz.

by "Darrell King" <darrell(at)webctr.com>

 Date:  Tue, 28 May 2002 06:41:10 -0400
 To:  <hwg-business(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
OK...I don't feel so badly, now, Jim. Thanks...:).

The thread is interesting.  Apparently, and this is something I've already
noticed since last Fall, that although many areas of the world are showing
the unpleasant effects of the economic changes, there are still many small
shops that are flourishing.

My own little company is doing well, if one uses a normal small business
yardstick instead of a comparison to the dot-boom days.  We are far from
rich, but definitely chugging along under our own power.

There were 2 issues mentioned in this thread that I found worth special
attention: networking and sales.  The first I realized was important back in
'98, and the second is something I've only been beginning to wake up to over
the past year. Sales is simply the way you tell, your prospective customers
that you have something they are looking for.  It doesn't have to mean
cramming the product down the throat of those who have no interest in it,
either.

In another burst of reading, I came across a concept that brought an
epiphany for me: as an entrepreneur, one's product should not be what the
company makes, but rather the company itself.  Not Web Development, but the
way Web Development is supplied to the customers.  Took a bit of thinking
for an old programmer to wrap his stiff brain around it, but definitely
worth my time when I was done...:).

From: "jim barchuk"

Hi Darrell!

On Mon, 27 May 2002, Darrell King wrote:

> OK, so you can say in one sentence what took me 4 or 5 paragraphs....:).

LOL! Hey, they were both worth reading. Thilo 'said' it (Cliff's Notes,)
but Darrell 'explained' it (full length first edition.)