Re: Hosting Your Own Web Sites

by "John Murray" <jmnc(at)lis.net.au>

 Date:  Mon, 10 Dec 2001 17:57:28 +1100
 To:  <hwg-business(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I think a result area in a strategy to lower the cost of site hosting for
your clients could be to develop improved capability domain name
re-delegation capability so you can flick the switch to other site hosts
quick as you can assume there will be more delivery failure in low cost
options.

I only have a vague idea of exactly how that process works. I see
organisations talk in "days". I mean, I want it in minutes.

I want to be able to say "Fred will do it for $50. Your doing it for $100.
My client dosn't like me overspending his money. I need to flick to Fred".

Then I want to go online, type in the details of the redelegation. Then wait
a couple of minutes and see www.mycliensthopesanddreams.com take a user to
the new IP Address.

Days does seem a long time.

But I reckon price will be a "sell" as the recession bites. So being able to
say "I have some less expensive solutions for hosting to assist your
organistion recession proof itself could be a good sell. Also shorter
commitments could be another sell. Sign up for 3 months rather than 12
months.

Doing it all yourself attracts costs. You may sustain it over the short
term, but unless you load your own labour in then all you'll do is attract
customers to products that have free labor in them and they'll squeeze out
your capability to deliver products that don't write down your labor.

[I know you already know all this stuff like the rest of us, but sometimes
it's handy to hear it again as the market demand seduces you]

Out in the marketplace for site hosts you have less control over quality. In
that situation I normally look for two suppliers. Having two suppliers
reduces delivery risk substantially.

But there's that bloody re-delegation time lag to contend with.

Just a few thoughts