RE: Spammers and web hosting

by "Chelle Yarbrough, CTC" <chelle(at)crossoverconsulting.com>

 Date:  Wed, 5 Jan 2000 13:16:50 -0600
 To:  "'Scott Piegdon'" <scott(at)hyperwebdesign.com>,
<hwg-business(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
>>Scott Piegdon wrote: Now each recipient, has the choicen to read it or
>>throw it away?  If they choose to throw it away, where is the waste?
Where
>>is the expense?  The Internet was formed, to allow people to communicate
>>more effectively, and I feel not only did it do that, but it can be a
>>tremendous resource for our future!

Scott, with all due respect, the expense & waste is my time. I can choose
WHEN to read my printed mail. I cannot choose when a spammer chooses to CLOG
my e-mail inbox. I lose approximately an hour a day filtering it out. That's
five hours a week x 52 weeks = 260 hours. (conservatively speaking, of
course, since most of us work 7 days a week, I'm sure.) Let's say,
hypothetically speaking, that I charge $100/hour for my time, so essentially
SPAM has cost me $26,000 in time. An outrageous number? Sure, but even $100
is too much. Pure time suckage, IMHO.

I've actually gotten offers in spam for products that I MIGHT have wanted,
but refuse to take advantage of it on sheer principle.   I belong to several
opt-in lists and regularly purchase from companies who contact me through
them. What's the difference? I get one well targeted e-mail vs. the usual 28
when the spammer mines my website for addresses.

Just an opinion from an end-user's perspective.
Chelle Yarbrough