Re: midis on a business site

by "PG Music Inc." <webmaster(at)pgmusic.com>

 Date:  Mon, 1 May 2000 18:04:04 -0700
 To:  <hwg-business(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Our company makes MIDI based software, so I know a thing or two about this
subject.

1.    You can't post a MIDI file of a known song, without paying royalties.
Royalties would have to be paid to the artist/composer.  Contact the Harry
Fox Agency for more info. http://www.nmpa.org/hfa.html
Also, MIDI files are a special breed, as they unlike an audio file, contain
data that can be used for creating notation, which, when produced are known
as 'mechanical rights'.
I'd suggest that you don't go this route.

2.    You can however post an original composition of your own creation, or
of an original composition that has been created for you by someone you pay.

3.    Songs in the Public domain are ok (Classical Music and others), but
only if you again pay a performer to create a new file.  i.e. You'll get in
trouble by choosing a file Beethoven file from alt.midi.music that you don't
have the performance rights to.

I suggest you use a software program to help you create a MIDI file.  You
could have a pretty good one real fast.   Email me off list for more info.

David Godfrey
Developer/Net Decorator
PG Music Inc.