Re: signature tags WAS: domain registrars

by "Karin Ransdell" <kransdell(at)squishedmosquito.com>

 Date:  Mon, 27 Nov 2000 11:10:41 -0600
 To:  "HWG Business List" <hwg-business(at)hwg.org>

From: Jonathon Stevens <jon(at)3spadefx.com>
To: HWG Business List <hwg-business(at)hwg.org>
Sent: Monday, November 27, 2000 9:29 AM
Subject: Re: signature tags WAS: domain registrars

> >******************************************************************
> >           Out - Sell, Out - Promote, Out - Market
> >             ALL your web designer competitors
> > Discover what the International critical acclaim is all about
> > www.sellmoresites.com           andy(at)sellmoresites.com
> >      Tel: 44(0) 700 590 5108 Fax: 44(0) 700 590 5109
> > ******************************************************************
>
>    I see a lot of these tags on here.  Isn't this considered advertising
as well and should be left off the list?

Hmmm... interesting question.

http://www.hwg.org/lists/rules.html#4 , regarding "Advertising" says

"As a special note about .Sig files: as long as it is not blatantly plugging
your product or service and does not violate other rules, such as pricing,
we will allow them. Excessively large .Sigs promoting products or services
will be cited as advertisement. Try to adhere to the recommended .Sig length
of four lines or fewer."

I suppose the arguments would involve exact definitions of the words
"blatantly" and "excessively large".

But since I am from Florida, I must recuse myself from further comment,
since I am by default unable to interpret such ambiguous regulatory language
as this.  Oh, well, perhaps we should hire a stable of attorneys to tell us
what the original intent of the author was.  Oh, dear.

In all seriousness, however, I must say that the HWG lists are by far the
most fascist lists (and I mean that in the nicest possible way, not
sarcastically or condescending) to which I have ever subscribed.  The intent
(no pun intended) is a good one for a professional group such as this.  I
mean, don't we all have something to advertise, after all, and wouldn't we
be doing it every chance we got?  By the same token, though, I often wonder
how many opportunities and how much information we miss because we aren't
aware of what we have available through our fellow listmembers.  When you
can only offer your product or service when a direct request has been made,
what happens if nobody ever gets around to asking?  I would much rather get
a morsel of information that benefits me, from a group like this one (where
at least some people supposedly know what they're doing! <haha>), than to be
bombarded by "theories" in the form of paid ads in newsletters to which I
subscribe.  I've gotten countless good info and resources from
quasi-questionable posts and sig files, but agree that 17-line sigs are not
A Good Plan(tm).

Oh, well, enough yammering....

Karin, in a forum where a well constructed sig might be the only chance you
get

no sig today