Re: After The job is done

by "Karin Ransdell" <kransdell(at)squishedmosquito.com>

 Date:  Mon, 5 Nov 2001 22:29:43 -0600
 To:  "Jeremy Brown" <jeremy(at)localnetamerica.com>,
<pperry(at)inter-design.net>
 Cc:  <hwg-business(at)hwg.org>

From: "Jeremy Brown" <jeremy(at)localnetamerica.com>
To: <pperry(at)inter-design.net>
Cc: <hwg-business(at)hwg.org>
Sent: Monday, November 05, 2001 9:26 PM
Subject: Re: After The job is done

> I would recommend creating a database-driven website for the portions of
> the site they wish to modify.

Amen.

http://www.escapages.com/ttg.html

This is a site content administration demo (one of several)  for clients,
prospective clients and for teaching.  All the data is live, it does
everything except the final INSERT, UPDATE, and DELETE functions (or soon
we'd have no demo!)  The active version of the site is 100% user-managed
content, real-time and secure.   It is managed by different department
managers in different cities and not a stroke of HTML for them to break.

Planning is everything, but then it's almost literally 'set it and forget
it'.  In fact, not long ago, the company underwent a complete name change,
which would have been a nightmare.  Made a few new images, a new logo and a
global search and replace in the database.

Because it costs a bit more to build, you have to sell the client on the
long-run savings.  Depending on the type of business, that can be an
appreciable number.  That's not to mention all the frantic phone calls to
tell you *they* broke something and *you* should fix it *right now*, or
taking a look at your hard work to see that someone has added their own
artistic interpretation <sigh>.

But the entire site doesn't have to be driven like this.  Key areas like
news, products, services, or things in lists that may change -- all are good
candidates for a database table.

If you'd like, contact me offlist and I'll get you some resources.

/k