Re: Looking for feedback

by "Karin Ransdell" <kransdell(at)squishedmosquito.com>

 Date:  Sat, 29 Jul 2000 10:11:44 -0500
 To:  <princep(at)technologist.com>,
<hwg-business(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
This is probably better fodder for the Servers list, but here go my first
reactions (which, of course, are mine, and probably nobody else's, after all
<g>, not to mention the product of not enough coffee this morning).

> -ASP (yes, ASP on Linux.)

ChiliSoft, I assume?

> -In-depth stats
> -Perl 5
> -PostgreSQL & Oracle databases

My first thought is that it's odd to find a Linux server that doesn't offer
MySQL, especially at the cost of Oracle.

> -All services available to linux accounts will be available, unlike
> other ISP's who limit functionality for security reasons.

Does that contradict ...

?

> I would appreciate if you could tell me what kind of interest you think
> a setup like this could generate.  Our target audience is serious web

The price is going to have to be very trim, since Linux server hosts are hip
deep out there.  From a business development background (and the accountant
in me speaking, I suppose), I'd be interested to see how the price stacks up
once the licenses for Oracle and ChiliSoft get added to the bottom line.
<ouch>

> designers and programmers who need a developer friendly place to host.
> Also I would like suggestions on improvements to make this package
> sweeter.

We insist on Linux servers for all our clients, applications, and software
development (since web-based SS scripting applications are our primary
product/service), as well as MySQL.  Everyone seems to offer PHP, but we use
our own engine, so PHP isn't a draw for us, but it is for a lot of folks.
Will your user's be able to compile?  How about ODBC support?    Like I
said, this is off the top of my head and our particular needs might not be
the same as someone else's, since we come more from a dynamic Linux
software/application development standpoint than simply wanting a server
that IS RELIABLE AND DOESN'T CRASH!!  </Linux Cheerleading>

I'm going back to my coffee now and leaving everyone alone.... ;)