Re: Ethics

by "Pamela Shorey" <palema(at)galaxyinternet.net>

 Date:  Sat, 8 Sep 2001 09:11:49 -0400
 To:  <hwg-business(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> . . .  a reporter asked me
> what is the point of industry organizations on web
> design if other people steal your writing and your
> photos.

What's the point of the Chamber of Commerce if another newspaper copied his
story? Or the Society of Professional Journalists?
http://spj.org/ethics/code.htm

> He had just found out that a competing site
> had opened and stolen his copy and photos.

There have been discussions before on these lists on how to protect images.
For one thing, he could write "Copyright 2001 Rob Reporter" across the face
of the pictures. And he can contact the other guy's ISP with evidence that
he did it first. He can put his stuff on a disc and register it with the
copyright office.

> It's
> unclear if the competing site is a member of the HWG,
> the IWA or anything else.  His point was that ethics
> should be the most important point of any industry
> organization.

The IWA has an ethics pledge they ask new members to take. (see Step#2 at
http://www.iwanet.org/join/). I don't know if they police it - probably not,
for the sort of reasons Jim Barchuk cited.
So sure, it's a concern, but it's not the primary purpose of most
professional organizations as far as I know. Professional organizations
police their members in hopes of avoiding or reducing government regulation,
such as the Bar Assoc.

In the case of copyright theft, there are already considerable laws and
procedures in place.

> Is there any repercussion for a member caught stealing
> content?

Yes, his or her reputation could suffer. In my opinion, this is not trivial.

> Are there any steps that you take to protect yourself
> and your sites?
> What recourses are there before hiring a lawyer?

As suggested previously on this list, he can write to the offending party
and demand that the material be taken down. He can write to their web host
with a similar demand.
He should certainly consider talking to a lawyer.

> My
> educational background is journalism, and any
> responsible journalist knows that you don't plagiarize
> information unless you want to be fired.

It's my understanding that plagiarism is stealing ideas and/or expression,
not information. Also, I dont think ethical behavior is based on fear of
being fired if caught, but on desire to do what is right.

My 2 cents worth...
Pam