Re: Domain Name "Slamming"

by "Kehvan M. Zydhek" <kehvan(at)zydhek.net>

 Date:  Wed, 7 Feb 2001 06:39:40 -0800
 To:  "Hwg-Business@Hwg. Org" <hwg-business(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I haven't gotten any letters for domain switching/renewal, but I did just
sign up three of my domains through a Tucows affiliate, 000domains
(www.000domains.com) at a substantially reduced rate over NetSol or IDR (aka
Registrars.com). NetSol released the domain I had with them fairly quick,
within about 24 hours, but I cannot do a WHOIS lookup on their site for that
domain (it claims there's no info in the new registrar's database for it) --
odd, considering that AllWhois.com can look it up just fine... The two help
by IDR are being delayed by them... I got an email late Monday evening
saying I had until Tuesday to respond or it the transfer would not happen --
for only one of the two domains. As of this post, both domains still show
registration via IDR, so I guess a NastyGram is due for them... :-)

Anyway, back to the topic at hand, I routinely dump junkmail in the round
filing cabinet, so if I get stuff from NetSol or IDR like the mail mentioned
in the originating posts, that's where they'll go, too, I guess. My overall
feeling about the various registrars, though, is that while NetSol does
impose some rather complicated methods to update a domain, I've really not
had any problems with them. IDR is less stellar, and costs the same, but has
a much better modification interface for the domains, so that about equals
them. 000domains is yet to be seen, but I'm hoping they're pretty good, too.
For the savings in registration fees, I guess I can tollerate a little less
instant gratification -- the three domains are costing me just a bit more
per year together than just one domain through the others...

Just my 2c...

Kehvan