RE: Picking & choosing clients

by "Kari Sable Burns" <karinet(at)worldnet.att.net>

 Date:  Wed, 5 Jan 2000 20:11:26 -0800
 To:  "'Noteworthy Web Designs'" <webmaster(at)noteworthydesigns.com>,
"'Rachel Hartman'" <rhartman(at)io.com>,
<hwg-business(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Even though I don't advertise who I will not represent, I am fairly picky.
There are many reasons for that. I don't want to waste a bunch of upfront
time with someone who is not going to follow through or is disillusioned
about a Website can do for them. There are the Sites I want absolutely no
involvement with; spam operations, exploitative, sleazy franchises,
businesses or MLM's that take advantage of others. I really market to and
network with the types of clients I want to represent and that the type of
clients that will take me professionally where I want to go.

My first year in business, many of my clients were bad news. They were
people no other professionals wanted to deal with. There are clients
(usually those who can least afford the services) who will have you running
around in circles endlessly, some can't make a decision, some are so
demanding and unreasonable they will be never be satisfied. The common
thread is they will take up all of your time and you can bet they won't want
to pay for all of your time. These are the clients who destroy your
business. In the end, they are generally not pleased, it's not a reference
you feel good about using and you don't really want their repeat business.

After awhile you can spot potential problem clients in a heartbeat and avoid
them like the plague and learn how to effectively communicate, from the
start, about the extent and expectations of your service.

Kari