Re: Ideas on how to stop image theft (RE: After the recent site theft...)

by "Oliver Weiss Design" <oweiss_design(at)gmx.net>

 Date:  Thu, 6 Apr 2000 10:07:12 +0200
 To:  <arcady(at)jps.net>
 Cc:  <hwg-business(at)hwg.org>, <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Arcady,

> Another trick is to use something like photoshop 5.5  or fireworks 3.
These
> apps can slice up your image and reassemble it in html tables.
>
> So make 2 pixel tall slices all the way down the image... If it's a 200
pixel
> tall image that means 100 seperate images assembled into a table. That
makes
> it a real pain to grab it down for the casual 'right-mouse click'
thieves. espially
> if you go into the code these apps generate afterwards and make two or
three
> of those table cells display not an image; but put that image as the
background
> of that cell... :)

Right, I did that *extensively* for my online magazine LEGAmedia
(www.legamedia.de). Each article (and there're *many* articles!) contains
an illustration or a cartoon of mine, and I have sliced each and every one
of them into irregularly broad pieces of vertical strips, and put them
together in a table.

Please note two things, however, when using this strategy:

1. If you overdo it, i.e. if you slice up your images into *many* strips
(which, of course, is what I used to initially do ;-) visitors will claim
that particularly during high-frequency traffic (around noon) not all of
these strips will load :-(

2. Same thing if you slice your images completely without ordner,
horizontally, then vertically, then horizontally again, and so forth, and
then put them together in a table. So what I do now is I slice up the
images into about five to seven vertical strips. This has proved a pretty
good compromise.

As mentioned, this slicing technique will not keep folks from stealing
your images - they could take screenshots, and voil�. But I assume (and
hope) it will keep the occasional snatcher from doing what he does best:
right-mouse clicking i.e.

Ciao Oliver

Oliver Weiss Design / LEGAmedia
Web Design, Illustration, E-zines