Re: Web Ring, is it worhty to join one?

by "Karin Ransdell" <kransdell(at)squishedmosquito.com>

 Date:  Tue, 14 Nov 2000 12:47:05 -0600
 To:  <ehoffman(at)smalldogdesign.com>,
<andizain(at)mm-inet.com>,
<hwg-business(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Eric makes a good point.

Webrings seem to work best for special interest groups that want to share
information, but are a bad idea for commercial interests who are actually in
competition with one another.

Example --
A webring of book lovers would work better than a webring of book sellers,
as far as the book seller is concerned.  Why make it easy for my prospective
customers to find my competitors?

Then there's the fact that every webring has its share of webring junkies --
the people who have a page chock full of rings to which they belong.
Non-selective ringmasters can end up with bad sites that reflect on the
ring's better sites.  Some rings are so huge that you might never be found
even once a visitor discovers the ring itself.

With everything else in design, it seems to come down to the basics --
what is your subject matter and who is your audience?

Karin
Karin Ransdell  kransdell(at)squishedmosquito.com
Escapade Development Team
Squished Mosquito, Inc.
http://www.squishedmosquito.com  or  http://www.escapade.org