Re: Step by Step

by "Joseph Poplawski" <jopop(at)parallaxstudios.com>

 Date:  Thu, 27 Jul 2000 23:54:05 -0400
 To:  "Darrell King" <darrell(at)webctr.com>,
<hwg-business(at)hwg.org>
From: "Darrell King" <darrell(at)webctr.com>
> ...I content that the most important things needed are a)
> talent and b) motivation.

Yes they are very important.

> "c)" is, of course, a computer with an Internet connection...:).

Again, very important if you are going to be a web designer! :)

> For a beginner who is initially taking on charity and low-budget sites,
> perhaps the most vital focus (technically...don't want the marketers on
me!)
> might be learning the code.  Using Notepad, HTML-Kit, 1stpage or any of
the
> other excellent no-cost editors on the market, and HTML Tidy or the online
> validator to check code, one *could* bootstrap a business with almost no
> startup fees:

Yes and no.  Could it be done? Yes probably but not very well.  Like I
listed in an earlier email, at the very least he would need a business
license, business bank account and business checks and a tax number.  Unless
of course he would like to mix his personal and business monies thus making
each other open to an audit if one of them is audited for any reason.

> 1) Set up a production environment with a computer, and editor and one of
> the free graphics manipulation programs.  Visit Webmonkey and other
> easily-located sources of informaiton and tutorials to build knowledge.

Don't forget a scanner.  What if a client sends him art to be scanned?   A
halfway decent scanner could be purchased for under a $100.

> 2) Use some free ISP or community web space to locate a starter site.

Not a chance here.  Any web designers that are showing their portfolios on
"free hosting space" are laughable at best.  No one will take him seriously.
Heck, a lot of ecommerce sites nowadays will not even accept orders from
people using the "free email" services like Hotmail because of the high rate
of fraud from those types of accounts.

I know myself and the business I run or deal with and we do not take anyone
seriously who emails us from a free email domain.

For any type of web designer, at the very least they need their own domain
name with their email address under that domain being hosted on a reliable
fast server.  That's the way to show your work.

I'll agree that there is not necessarily a great need to go out and buy a
ton of reference books since most of the same material is available free on
the internet.  Heck there is even a site on the net that puts their entire
printed books on the web for free download in PDF format.

> 3) Get an affiliate or reseller relationship going with a hosting company
if
> possible.

Not if possible, this should be a necessity I would think.  There are so
many hosting companies out there that are more than willing to work with
designers in a reselling arrangement that not doing this is just a dumb
idea.

> 4) Put some demo work online at the starter site.

Put up demo work yes.  But on your own domain.

> 5) Solicit some work from charity or low-budget prospects.  This begins a
> portfolio and will hopefully bring in references and testimonials
regarding
> the sterling character and solid work ethic of the new designer.  At this
> point, you are trying to establish *proof* that you are worth money.

Yes this is a *great* idea!

> 6) Using the knowledge and references gained through the starting period,
> try to land a "bread and butter" account that will provide a steady income
> in between new contracts.
>
> 7) Expand (bootstrap) as possible, getting a domain name, a bigger site, a
> more profitable hosting arrangments, etc.

The domain name should have been the first step.  But other than that, yes I
agree on the bigger site, etc.

> 8) Once momentum has been achieved (within 2-7 years), begin scheduling a
> day off every week to rest.  You'll need it.

Days off?  You mean you get one day a week?  Wow aren't you lucky... I can't
remember the last time I had a day off!  As a matter of fact I'm going on a
family vacation the end of August and I've already been scheduled in 3
conference calls that week.  I'll have my laptops and all my source files wi
th me...   I think I need to talk to my boss... Oh wait, that's me...

Jo Pop