Re: Spammers and "The Blacklist"

by "Michael Schultz" <mike(at)virtualtech.com>

 Date:  Fri, 29 Jun 2001 14:18:16 -0500
 To:  <hwg-business(at)hwg.org>,
"Judith C. Kallos" <webmaster(at)theistudio.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Judith...

For starters, you can go here:

http://www.mail-abuse.org/rbl/

Turned out that we were on the blacklist... a local ISP was blocking any
e-mail that we sent to any of their users.  Checking into it, I was referred
to the above URL to find out why.  It turned out that it was not us
specifically, but rather any mail coming from a range of IP addresses
assigned to our hosting provider.  There were a number of sites using the
same hosting provider as us that had been reported for spam abuse, and the
blacklist simply banned the entire block of IP addresses.

Still in the process of sorting this out... in the meantime, we are sending
any e-mail to users of this local ISP via our ISP's SMTP server, so at least
we can still reach them.  Seems like a complicated process to get ourselves
off the list though.  One bad apple.... you know the rest.

HTH

Michael Schultz
Vice President of Operations
Virtualtech Web Site Design and Promotion http://www.virtualtech.com