Re: Define Webmaster was-----------Unscrupulous Webmasters

by "Karin Ransdell" <karin(at)ransdell.com>

 Date:  Fri, 3 Nov 2000 11:05:58 -0600
 To:  "Bryan Bateman" <batemanb(at)home.com>,
<hwg-business(at)hwg.org>

From: Bryan Bateman <batemanb(at)home.com>
To: Steve Clark <steve(at)abacist.com>; <hwg-business(at)hwg.org>
Sent: Friday, November 03, 2000 3:31 AM
Subject: Define Webmaster was-----------Unscrupulous Webmasters

> I am wondering.  Would it not be more proper to use "web host" instead of
> "web master".  I am curious as to services offered by these
> individuals/companies.  Are they one man shops with agreements at a
> particular host?  Are they employees of a hosting company?  Do they host
the
> servers in their place of business?
>
> Different people have a different definition of webmaster.  What is the
> concenus here?

Oh, I, for one, agree completely.  There is often a difference, sometimes
very major, but it is usually one that the customer/client doesn't see.
Even webmasters (the person who designs and/or maintains the page, often
including domain registration) are often just resellers of a particular web
host (the entity that has the hardware and connection to the internet,
renting space to the public).

Web hosts almost always give a "register a domain/transfer and existing
domain" option when setting up an account, along with the opportunity to
register the domain through their service.  So a webmaster (actually, I
don't like that term, so I'll use the term designer), can open an account
for his client and either use the host's service to register the domain, or
register it elsewhere and transfer it in.

I *always* do the latter.  A relationship with a good registrar is essential
and you need to know who you're dealing with, their terms and conditions,
and their policies on ownership and account changes, etc.

This also leaves the host out of the loop as far as any claim to the
treatment of the domain name.  Where the account goes, so, too goes the
domain name.

HOWEVER, when I register that name, in addition to the owner/client being
designated as the billing contact, I designate myself (the designer) as the
admin contact.  Why?  Because I am, that's why.  It would be irresponsible
of me to name the client (who didn't know how to handle registration, much
less modifications on his own because he came to me, remember?) total
control of the account.   Besides, it's not a matter of control, it's a
matter of having things set up correctly in a way that protects the account
and gets the right issue to the right responsible party.  In other words,
billing goes to Joe Client, not me, unless that's the arrangement with Joe
Client.  Likewise, I wouldn't want them contacting Joe Client when I've got
a problem with the name server, either.

One of my main criteria for selecting a registrar is whether they separate
the admin and the billing contacts and can each of these contacts exercise a
degree of ownership in the account?  In other words, Joe owns the account
and can move it where he will, removing me as admin and plopping the new
designer in there, or even himself when he gets a handle on how it works.
That's fine with me, as long as the account is in good standing and  if all
other conditions of our ORIGINAL AGREEMENT/CONTRACT (like the lawyer's will
tell you "get it in writing") are met.  What happens if this isn't the case
is a whole other matter entirely, and beyond the scope of the original
question.

That, I'm sure, is the reason that some designers set themselves up as
<reverb>Domain Master!</reverb>, to make sure that they don't get the shaft
from the client.  That's all well, fine, and good, if they realize that it's
a two way street and they shouldn't shaft the client, either.  If both
parties are current on their obligations, then the designer should say
"thanks for your business, best of luck" and send the client on his merry
way.  I mean, I don't know about anybody else, but the last thing I want to
have around is a client that isn't happy with me, because it usually means
I'm not happy with him, either <exclamation point>.

And if I squeeze him because I think he's the last client I'll ever have...
sheesh... better take down the shingle right now and go find a "real job".
<snicker>  Because he probably is.

I did like the comment (I'm sorry, I forget who made it) about using it to
your advantage.  Sobering results can be had by looking a client casually in
the eye and saying "Well, did you know that a domain name is a separate,
intangible piece of property with ownership considerations?  When you start
hiring all these designers and web space providers [ they seem to understand
that term easier than "host" ], treat the domain name as a separate issue,
just like your content.  You know that your content belongs to you, you
brought it to the table, you're free to leave with it, but what about your
domain name?  Who brought that to the table?  Who gets to leave with it?"
Hmmm... you see the light go on over their heads.  It can often be the
deciding factor in choosing a designer, which, incidentally, usually ends up
being you <eg>.

All right, so that doesn't solve Ben's current problem, but hopefully it
broadens the discussion that Bryan started.  In turn, it might give Ben some
food for thought as to how he prefers to handle his own clients and
accounts, as either a webmaster/designer or a web host, or both.

Best of luck, Ben.

Karin