Re: Search Engines & Meta tags

by "Lauri Vain" <optima(at)hot.ee>

 Date:  Tue, 21 Nov 2000 21:25:08 +0200
 To:  "HWG Business" <hwg-business(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Terry,

> A person I am working with insists that placing  the meta tags in the
> <head> of a web page instead of in the <body> improves search engine
> placement.
>
> I have always thought that meta tags should only be placed in the <head>

Shouldn't it be a question to HWG-BASICS?

Anyway, to answer your question. META tags should always be placed into the
<HEAD>... preferrably right after the <TITLE> in the order <META description>
<META keywords> <META everything else>. It's been suggested anyway, don't know
how much truth is in it but why not use it this way?

Some years back people sometimes inserted the <META> tags to the end of the HTML
doc between the </BODY> and </HTML>. Some engines ranked you higher this way -
*they don't do so any more*!!!
Meta tags should ALWAYS be between <HEAD></HEAD>. Placing them somewhere else,
fortunately or unfortunately,  doesn't work any more.

Yours,
Lauri