Re: Spammers and web hosting

by "Alan Herrell" <lemurs(at)extremezone.com>

 Date:  Thu, 6 Jan 2000 12:00:06 -0700
 To:  <jacquelin.hooker(at)ss.ps.ge.com>,
<hwg-business(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Jacqui C. Hooker wrote on Spam;

>It is a marketing tool, a communication pathway for businesses to publicize
their services.

I had thought that a website did that  :-)

The implication here is that the web is nothing more than a marketing
paradise for hucksters, advertisers, and marketers to fill our e-boxes
with unsolicited information in the same way our snailboxes are now.

By calling it a communication pathway as an attempt to legitimize its use,
especially when comparing it to Direct Mail,
and pointing to the assumption that it is free,
and because I have an e-mail address, you have the 'right' to bombard me
with 'pathways to services'.

Nobody has that right.

> Spam is simply the internet/email version of commercials, magazine ads,
> direct mail.  Yes, they tend to be annoying and waste our time, but
without
> them we wouldn't find new products and solutions to solve existing
problems.

This statement implies that I have problems, that without intervention,
I will not solve,  that I am not smart enough to make my own decisions,
Nor should I to be trusted to seek out information by myself .

I  resent both of these implications.

E-mail is a legitimate marketing tool.
When I surf the web, and find a website which has a product or service in
which I am Interested,
there is a link for more information, whether it is a mailto link, a form,
or a shopping cart.

If UCE is a legitimate business tool,
why do so many sites have a
Privacy Policy linked on their Front Page.

http://www.ge.com/privacy.htm
It is my Choice to make.

I build websites for a living.
I have been doing this as my only source of income for 3 years.
My clients want to open their mailboxes, and respond to qualified leads,
not have to wade through Unsolicited Commercial E-Mail.

alan herrell - the head lemur
Buy a Site http://www.lemurzone.com
Help a Site http://domain-issues.org
Standards for Sites http://www.webstandards.org