Re: designing for IE and NS

by "Comharsa" <comharsa(at)clara.net>

 Date:  Wed, 24 May 2000 01:09:01 +0100
 To:  <hwg-business(at)hwg.org>
From: "Bernie Mooney" <bernie(at)cybernia.net>
> I'm assuming we all design our sites to work in both Internet Explorer and
> Netscape. Frankly, I'm getting a bit sick of having to do it, mainly
> because I have come to despise NS ,  due to its limitations and the
> difficulty getting things to look right.
>
> On some sites you see  "best viewed using Internet Explorer 4.0 or
higher."
> What do you think of this approach? I've seen a survey that said IE
> controls 64% of the market. That leaves only 36%  using NS.  The survey
> also reported that 73% of companies  have a corporate browser policy. 69%
> dictate use of IE.
>
> What do you all think?

I think it's fine to aim for a particular browser if you're prepared to
accept the consequences. How many clients would you have if you told them
that their site was only going to be available for 64% of the people out
there?

I personally see those "best viewed" comments as the web designer saying "I
couldn't be bothered to fix it for the others". For a home page it's just
about acceptable but not for a business site.

Having said that, the sooner they all support the same standards the better.

Brian
comharsa(at)clara.net