Re: When & How to Fire a Client From Hell

by "Darrell King" <darrell(at)webctr.com>

 Date:  Sat, 9 Nov 2002 13:02:20 -0500
 To:  "Sheldon J. Potter" <sjpotter(at)essential-connect.com>,
"HWG-Business List" <hwg-business(at)hwg.org>,
<webd2-discuss(at)yahoogroups.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Yours was long, so mine will be short...:).

Yes.  I'd also include an explanation regarding why you are terminating the
contract.  It may wake her up, but, even if it doesn't, it's only fair.
Communication issues are rarely 1-sided, so take the extra moment to explain
yourself. Fair, objective, professional:

"...after reviewing the direction the project has taken, I don't feel I can
provide the personal attention you need to successfully continue
development. I also believe we have fundamentally different understandings
of the terms of our contract and that these contradictory viewpoints will
both impede the project's progress and unfairly limit the value you will
receive for your money. I'm willing to hear your thoughts regarding this
subject, but I feel I have exhausted my own ability to express..."

I'd keep as much of the deposit as you feel you've earned, even if it's only
a couple of hours in consulting fees.