Re: Customers

by "Michael Schultz" <mike(at)virtualtech.com>

 Date:  Mon, 11 Mar 2002 11:46:55 -0600
 To:  "HWG-Business(at)hwg.org" <hwg-business(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
We also generally host the sites we design.  We require 50 percent of total
cost (design and hosting) to be paid before we commence work on a site.
Then, what we do during development is to upload the site to a subdirectory
on our server (http://www.virtualtech.com/customername) so that they can
view it online.  Once the customer has given the "OK" to the final design
and paid in full, we then activate his/her hosting account (if we are
hosting) and upload the site to that account
(http://www.customerdomain.com).  This has two advantages: the client is
able to view the site online as we develop it, and they do not have to start
paying for hosting until the site is actually completed (which can be months
in the case of some customers... sure you have all been there).

We will not let a site go live without receiving final payment first.  Had a
few problems with that in the past.  Since implementing this policy, we have
not had any trouble receiving payment.  Most of our clients appreciate the
fact that they do not have to start paying for hosting until the site is
completed.

True, they could simply copy the source code from our server if they really
wanted to swipe the site without paying, but that has never happened in over
5 years of business.

Thanks!

Michael Schultz
Vice President of Operations