Screening Members

by "Ezra S F" <efreelove(at)yahoo.com>

 Date:  Thu, 20 Apr 2000 09:14:37 -0400
 To:  <hwg-business(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Somehow this suggestion of screening HWG users seems like a philosophical
difference in the way I see the HWG operating. It would have to take a shift
away from the all-inclusive approach to a selective approach to membership.
At least, that is how I interpret the term "screening". Do we really want to
say, "Only HTML designers with this minimum level of skill can be a
member?". I would have to say that had this been policy 2 years ago, I would
not be a member today. I would never have spent so much time reading on this
list nor the techniques list. I would not have the job I have today
administrating a 14,000 document web site with dozens of department heads
and newbie HTML designers all creating their share.

It is amazing how the business list's discussions apply to working with
clients who do not pay me. Would the business list be screened to only those
who have their own business?

It strikes me Janet that you may have intended something more like
profiling. I think that a database of user profiles might be an ideal
function for the HWG. It might be better for the members to rate themselves,
rather than someone from the HWG rating them. Someone who thinks they are an
expert and rated as intermediate might be offended unnecessarily. Though to
refer to the topic, this would make it much easier for the poacher to find
clients to contact. Rather than combing through archives, they could just
spider the database.

My $.02,
Ezra

Ezra Freelove