Re: Incorporating vs. LLC

by "Malcolm Smart" <malcolm(at)smart-web.com>

 Date:  Wed, 8 Mar 2000 01:06:06 -0500
 To:  <Jay_Strickland(at)pobox.com>,
<hwg-business(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Please don't take this the wrong way, but if you're having to ask this
question, I suspect that you might need to do some more research, and this
is not really the place to look for such advice. I don't mean that it's OT
for this list, but that this is one area where you should be paying a couple
of professionals for their opinion - your lawyer and your accountant.

Now, that said, I was present when a small business owner asked her lawyer
about the LLC thing 6 months ago, and his advice then was to stay away from
them because they were too new, and the IRS hadn't ruled on many issues
regarding LLCs yet. He also mentioned a lot of other issues, that I can't
recall. Speak to your own lawyer.

About eight years ago, I was told by my accountant, that I would be paying
less in taxes (including his fees) if I was NOT incorporated. At that time,
I had no choice because I was required to be a C Corp or my major client
wouldn't use me. Of course, things might be very different now. What does
your accountant say?

A couple of hundred bucks up front could save you thousands later on.

Malcolm Smart