Re: Drumbeat 2000 vs. Visual InterDev

by "Malcolm Smart" <malcolm(at)smart-web.com>

 Date:  Wed, 8 Mar 2000 01:22:56 -0500
 To:  <hwg-business(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Joe:

Please, stay away from this Front Page nonsense. Wizards are great for doing
table-dumps and not much else. You might get most of the application up for
your client, but within a few weeks, you'll be probably be getting requests
to 'modify this so it does that', and your wizards are not going to be able
to help you.

I don't know if you read WebSanDiego, but coincidentally, there was a thread
about Drumbeat there a few days ago. One person said they had just installed
it, another said they were just learning it but didn't think too much of it,
and a third said 'let us know what you find'. No one is jumping in here
saying how wonderful it is. Stop and think why that might be. 18 months ago,
I was frequently being asked why I chose to develop with hand-coded ASP over
Drumbeat, but I haven't even heard the name for over  a year until these two
threads. No noise means no good.

It's my experience that you've just got to do most of this stuff by hand. I
just inherited a VisualInterDev-generated site (which is really FrontPage),
and it sucks. It might limp by, and was probably quick and cheap to get up
and running, but this client now faces some pretty hefty bills to bring the
site to its next incarnation. It would have been cheaper to build it right
from the get go.

Malcolm Smart
Smart Online Services
malcolm(at)smart-web.com