Re: Transfer Request Method

by Chris Montgomery <lists(at)airtightweb.com>

 Date:  Sat, 26 Oct 2002 22:02:36 -0500
 To:  hwg-business <hwg-business(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Howdy Nathan,

Saturday, October 26, 2002, 3:10:17 PM, Nathan Lyle wrote:

NL> I'm hoping this is the right forum for this question...

Hey, if it's related to your web business, this is the right place. :)

NL> Has anyone had experience with requesting a domain transfer from
NL> another company, for a client? I have a potential client that I am
NL> going to resell hosting for, as well as managing a domain name. When
NL> the time comes, I'd like to know the best method of requesting the
NL> domain transfer from the current provider. I was wondering if there
NL> was a formal template/requestform or something somewhere, or anything
NL> that might be good reading, as well as any advice from the list.

I've done this quite a few times. The answer is, it depends. Who is the
domain registered with? The domain registrars will quite often have a
domain account management interface where you can log in and change
things like DNS name servers, contact information, etc. For example,
Verisign/Network Solutions recently migrated their domain account
management system to a self-help interface from a template/request form
system. Go to the domain registrar's site and read through their "How
To" FAQs for details on how they handle domain transfers.

Sometimes, the new hosting company can initiate a domain transfer for
you. If you are listed as one of the contacts (administrative or
technical) then it is easier. My advice is that once you get the client
to sign on with you, try to get yourself added as one of the contacts (I
usually get listed as the Technical contact, with the client listed as
the Administrative contact). Hope that helps.

Chris Montgomery        monty @ airtightweb.com

--
Airtight Web Services   http://www.airtightweb.com
Web Development, Web Project Management, Software Sales