Re[2]: Intellectual Property Protection (was: Testing)

by Nathan Lyle <nathan(at)upwebmaestro.com>

 Date:  Tue, 28 May 2002 20:28:53 -0400
 To:  hwg-business(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
> Why do I hear a voice in the back of my mind chanting
> "lawyer...lawyer..."..?

I try to ignore the voices I'm always hearing.... ;-)

> Obviously, you can't stop anyone from taking the idea...especially on the
> Web.  You can establish your intellectual rights, but then you have to
> defend them, which is going to be time- and money-consuming.
> Perhaps you can keep it secret until you have a head start?

Initially not a problem... but to test it on any realistic sort of
scale, publicity almost becomes a necessity. And your point about
having to *defend* the rights is one of the more intimidating of the
aspects of this for me. I realize if I'm unable to defend a right then
it's not going to end up being a very profitable right. :-/

I find myself wondering about the idea of trying to partner with
someone more focused in that whole area, leaving the development part
more time-free for myself. I've never been an agressive business
type... and don't really want to become one. I'm not saying I can't do
good business - I'm just more GNU than MS, if you know what I mean.
<sigh>

~ The U.P. Web Maestro (Nathan Lyle)

  E-Mail: nathan(at)upwebmaestro.com
  Online: www.upwebmaestro.com
   Phone: (906)485-4806

"Microsoft is not the answer. Microsoft is the question. NO is the answer." - Erik Naggum.