Re: Nature of the Web Design Industry

by "Bryan Bateman" <batemanb(at)home.com>

 Date:  Tue, 26 Sep 2000 01:34:33 +0100
 To:  <hwg-business(at)mail.hwg.org>,
"Victor Daniel a.k.a the MacNut" <macnut(at)pro-usa.net>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Put the brakes on before you finish your thesis.

First read this -----
http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2631782,00.html

I have seen first hand IBM's leverage over a large organization.  They may
not be perfect but they are doing a great job of gathering some very large
e-commerce projects under their domain (pardon the pun).  Add to that, their
partnerships with Ariba and Broadvision ( too name just two ) and you see a
powerful juggernaut developing.  These guys invented technology for big
business.

As for the medium and small businesses, their are some traditional print
media companies that are moving to consolidate the local masses under the
banner of "communities".  Some I know of are koz.com, Infi.net and Bernard
Publishing.  Not to mention the portal sites and online malls.

As for small operators, your business classes better be teaching you one of
two business models.  Work for big or be ever working towards growing your
private business bigger.