RE: domain admin (was Unscrupulous Webmasters)

by Ken Lanxner <klanxner(at)home.com>

 Date:  Sat, 4 Nov 2000 15:48:53 -0800
 To:  hwg-business(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
On 11/4/00 at 4:38 PM, Jonathon Stevens <jon(at)3spadefx.com> wrote:

> If someone were to do a whois lookup on their domain and find a
> company they never even heard of as a technical contact, this wouldn't
> look too good to the reseller.  Most businesses, from my experience,
> do not want a reseller, they want an actual company that owns the
> equipment.

It all depends on the nature of your business. I am a one-man shop. I
design Web sites and I am a reseller of hosting by "an actual company
that owns the equipment." I don't host and they don't do Web design.
(They refer to me.) We work together as partners. My clients know who
the hosting company is and they are free to deal directly with them if
they choose. I charge my clients the same rate that they would pay if
they did deal directly with the hosting company. My reseller
relationship with this company is advertised on my Web site and in my
brochures.  And the hosting company is the technical contact for all my
clients' Web sites.

I am always suspicious when I see companies that claim to provide
hosting, are undoubtably resellers, and hide that information. My
selling point to my clients is that I know how to choose the best tools
(companies) to get the job done -- not that I can do it all myself.

Ken
---
Simplelives * Web Design
http://simplelives.com