Re: SSL certificate sellers

by Ezra Freelove <efreelove(at)yahoo.com>

 Date:  Sat, 14 Sep 2002 08:59:23 -0700 (PDT)
 To:  hwg-business(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Robert,

One can always self-sign a certificate, but since you
are probably not a recognized Certificate Authority
said cert would generate a security warning to your
customers.

The same can happen if you go with a Certificate
Authority your customer's web browsers do not trust by
default.

I found this chart the other day. It claims that users
of the Opera web browser would encounter this problem
if you choose to go with QuickSSL.

http://www.whichssl.com/faq/compatibility.html

In my position at a small university we have
frequently self-signed SSL certs for testing purposes.
I could never recommend self-signing for accepting
sensitive information like credit cards. As a consumer
I would never submit a cc number to a site that
generated the security error (have encountered this a
couple times).

Also, remember to renew in a timely fashion. Verisign
only gave us a reminder 10 days before the expiration
date.

Ezra