Re: ssl certificate

by Chris Montgomery <discuss(at)airtightweb.com>

 Date:  Thu, 19 Feb 2004 15:24:43 -0600
 To:  hwg-business(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Howdy Doris,

Thursday, February 19, 2004, 2:12:24 PM, Doris Kyburz wrote:

> I came a across http://www.instantssl.com, which is way cheaper than
> the two above.

> Has anybody used instantssl and can you recommend it? Is it widely
> accepted by current browsers as they claim it does? Are there other
> ssl certificates you could recommend?

I don't have any experience with InstantSSL. The last two times I've
set my clients up with a SSL cert was through EV1Servers (formerly
RackShack.net): http://www.ev1servers.net/english/quickssldetails.asp
I don't know if EV1Servers is a partner of the Comodo Group (the ones
behind InstantSSL) or not. The pricing is the same, so they may be
resellers.

The actual certs are issued by GeoTrust and are compatible with most
web browsers. Their FAQ at
http://www.ev1servers.net/english/support/quickssl/faq.asp says:

"What Web browser programs are compatible with QuickSSL?

QuickSSL is compatible with Microsoft Internet Explorer� 5.01 and
higher and Netscape/AOL Web browsers version 4.51 and higher,
comprising an estimated 90% or more of all Web browsers in use today.
All other commonly used browsers may connect securely with Web servers
using QuickSSL certificates. However, some older browsers may display
a dialogue box indicating that the certificate is not trusted. This
means that the certificated is not located in the browser certificate
store and, in most cases, the user will be prompted to install it with
a few clicks of their mouse."

Anyway, I haven't heard any complaints yet where this is an issue.

At the time I purchased their certs the cost was $25. Now it's $49 but
still a good price. The purchase/install process was all fairly
painless and very quick (if you have a responsive hosting company),
all done via email and the phone (for verification). I can't comment
on the process of renewing with them since neither of my client's
certs are up for renewal yet.

Hope that helps.

--
Chris Montgomery