Re: Verio & Internet Keywords

by Ted Resnick <tedres(at)dnai.com>

 Date:  Tue, 27 Jun 2000 10:43:26 -0700
 To:  mamaison <mamaison(at)gte.net>,
hwg-business(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Teajai,

It sounds like Verio is reselling RealNames keywords. Check out
http://www.realnames.com/ for more info.

RealNames has a presence on most search engines and also Internet Explorer.
They are ultimately working on a system to replace URL's with more natural
phrases. So if you are looking for information about Ford Explorers, you
can just type the phrase in instead of having to remember what the exact
url is.

For example, remember go to AltaVista, Go.com, Google, etc. and search for
"Ford Explorer." You should see a link at the top of the results page that
says something like "Go there directly with this Internet Keyword by
RealNames" Or " Internet Keyword: Ford Explorer RN."

However, a lot of the Internet Keywords are so obvious that they generally
come up in search engines anyway. (Try searching for Coke or Nike, and
although there are Internet Keywords, the official urls tend to come up in
the search engines.)

It can be especially helpful if your domain is not easy to remember -
remember that before Salon Magazine bought the salon.com domain, you had to
know that they were at salon1999.com or salonmag.com. So RealNames might
have helped them connect with users that forgot the domain name. (On the
other hand, they did ultimately buy salon.com anyway...)

If people are finding your sites easily enough, it may not be worthwhile.
Like any kind of standard, whether RealNames will make it or not will
depend on how many people buy into and help publicize the system. Bottom
line is that if you can afford the hundred bucks, I would do it for a year
and see if it pays for itself in visitors.

Hope this helps,

Ted