Re: Need Shopping Cart Recommendations

by Jim Livingston <livingsj(at)4dcomm.com>

 Date:  Mon, 10 Jan 2000 05:06:36 -0800
 To:  hwg-business(at)mail.hwg.org
 Cc:  webmaster(at)actionhost.net
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Cynthia,

One option is to use Solena Sol's WebStore ( http://www.extropia.com/ then
click on products). It works on both Unix and NT's, as I do not know which
your site is using. It handles different discounts, "Shipping Class", etc.
without any custom programming needed.

I am not with Solena Sol's, but I have used their scripts on client sites
before, and they work.

On Sun, 9 Jan 2000 23:23:16 -0800 you wrote:
>From: "Cynthia Hamilton" <webmaster(at)actionhost.net>
>Subject: Need Shopping Cart Recommendations
>
> Hi All - I'm working on a contract for an e-commerce site with unusual
>requirements.  The client wants to offer discounts based on quantity ordered
>of not just one item, but a category of items with a variety of attributes
>i.e. if you order 6-9  of any combination of stars (your choice of colors),
>moons (made of cheese or rock)or comets(tails cost extra).  A different
>discount based on a combination of items from another category, etc.
>
>In addition, they have a shipping plan as follows:
>
>They assign a "Shipping Class" for each item.  Then, depending on how many
>items are ordered in each class, there is a shipping charge, i.e:
>
>Class A: $6.00 for the first 3 items, $1.00 for each additional 3 items
>Class B: $6.00 for the first item, $2.00 for each additional item
>Class C: $8.00 for the first item, $6.00 for the 2nd item, and $2.00 for
>each add'l item
>Class D: $11.00 for each item shipped to Pacific and Mountain Time Zones,
>$15.00 for each item shipped to Central and Eastern Time Zones
>Class E: $30.00 for each item.
>Class F: $65.00 for each item.
>
>I realize that without custom programming, which they and I are not willing
>to get into, that we probably won't be able to stick to these schemes, but
>want to get as close as possible.
>
>Does anyone know of a shopping cart that will handle quantity discounts
>within categories, and perhaps a separate table for handling in addition to
>shipping?  Or any other ideas on how to best serve this client?  The
>shopping cart I usually work with doesn't have these features.  I'm looking
>at Miva Merchang and Mercantec's Softcart, but am wondering if there is
>something better out there.
Jim Livingston
jim(at)docnprof.com
http://www.docnprof.com