Re: Hmm...where'd those six figures go?

by Bradley Miller <bradmiller(at)accesszone.com>

 Date:  Fri, 07 Jul 2000 15:35:19 -0500
 To:  hwg-business(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
>(P.S. Parenthetically -- and as a shameless plug -- If anyone knows a
>Cold Fusion programmer who wants a great position with options in a
>16-year-old, publicly trade, very profitable company, working for a
>mature manager and who wants a real career -- I have an opening!)

Actually, you might think I'm a nut, but I went the opposite.  I worked
hard getting a company setup doing web site design and programming, but
then gave it up to work for a large corporate company.  (Sprint)  I was
doing Cold Fusion and the job was very low-key and easy to deal with.  I
didn't have to worry about search engine results, customers (beyond our
internal departments), or what domain names I could get.   The problem was,
if I had an idea, we had to "study" it.   (If it was even considered at
all!)  After working there 8+ months, I finally had one of my ideas used.
It was a huge productivity booster and came about from me knowing the tools
inside and out.

Guess where I am today?  I'm back at the company I helped start and
although I'm not quite to the six figure salary, I live more than
comfortably and work from the comfort of my home/office over 130+ miles
from our main office.  I'm not locked into doing Cold Fusion programming
for the rest of my life.  Right now I'm doing PHP with MySQL as database .
. . plus PostgresSQL.  I got to play more with Oracle while at Sprint, but
I never want to be locked into one particular language.   (Remember those
moth-balled Cobol programmers . . . out for Y2k?)  With my job I can change
skillsets as quickly as possible . . . one minute I'm learning Flash, and
the next I'm looking at ??? language.   Let the other guys get sucked into
the corporate framework -- I like myself right where I am.

(The only downfall -- insurance.  Any suggestions on coverage for maternity
for my spouse?)

-- Bradley Miller
AccessZone Design