Re: Contact Manager Software

by Jan Theodore Galkowski <jtgalkowski(at)alum.mit.edu>

 Date:  Fri, 28 Jan 2000 17:22:09 -0500
 To:  mlee <mlee(at)sunflower.com>
 Cc:  <hwg-business(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 11:17 AM 01/28/2000 -0600, mlee wrote:
>Does anybody have a line on versitile contact manager software.
>I'd prefer something for a Mac but could run PC software under winsoft.
>
>It needs to:
>be searchable on user-defined criteria
>hold at least 5 phone numbers per contact
>tie directly into email (export a completed, addressed email into a=20
>mailer's outbox)
>display screen reminders at a given day/time (birthdays, meeting=20
>reminders)
>be able to dial phone numbers from the contact manager
>be able to send faxes individually or in groups from the contact manager
>print an address book
>
>I've got multiple programs that can do all of this but they don't overlap=
=20
>and the contact list is just too long anymore.

Check out Zoot Software at http://www.zootsoftware.com
Their 4.0 version is supposed to be integrated with Outlook.
I run Zoot 3.1 and find it invaluable.  I don't like Outlook, 'though,=20
so I may stick with 3.1.

The other way to go is to record your information in HTML files
in some designated directory, and use a tool like Kaylon's Powermarks
(http://www.kaylon.com) to do KWIC searches.  This is a less structured
approach.

Finally, there was an extended review of Personal Information Managers
(PIMs) at Salon.  It was presented in two sections.  See:

   http://www.salon.com/21st/rose/1999/03/05straight.html

and

   http://www.salon.com/21st/rose/1999/03/23straight.html

>Is there anything that ties in with MS Outlook Express 5?  Eudora-Pro?

[snip]

There are other more exotic possibilities as well.