RE: Food For Thought

by Jan Theodore Galkowski <jtgalkowski(at)alum.mit.edu>

 Date:  Mon, 12 Jun 2000 07:43:53 -0400
 To:  "Craig Foot" <craig(at)matilda.net.au>
 Cc:  "Hwg-Business@Hwg. Org" <hwg-business(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 05:26 PM 06/12/2000 +1000, Craig Foot wrote:
>Well ... I've seen another interview or report from an interview where he
>espoused the same sort of drivel. I used to buy there until I woke up to=
 the
>fact that his software and hardware are above market prices. If he can't,=
 or
>won't, sell on the Net, it only means one thing ... his prices are too=
 high.

>But then again, he may wish to maintain his current margin for as long as
>possible and only bow to the pressures as a last resort. No doubt a lot of
>smaller retailers would follow his every word in the hope of emulating his
>success, so why not decry new selling techniques when given the=
 opportunity.
>It must deter a few from entering this new sphere of retailing (plus put=
 our
>jobs in jeopardy)
>
>But, he is maintaining his website just in case.

I saw a counterexample of the guy's opinion just yesterday.  Wizards of
the Coast, makers of the collectible card games Magic the Gathering and
Pokemon, among others, released a new edition of Magic cards on 5th June,
one called "Prophecy".  There is a set of cards known as a "booster box"=20
which is selling here through retail outfits at about $85-$95. =
 Nevertheless,=20
there are several retail businesses selling the same on eBay, including
ones selling through Dutch auctions, for $60-$70.  That a savings even if
one considers shipping costs because these are running $3.50-$7 for same.
Notice, these businesses do not have a formal Web site as their main
retail presence, although some do have secondary retail outlets online and
many have informational Web sites.

  --jtg

[snip]