Re: Spammers and web hosting

by "G. Adam Stanislav" <whizkid(at)bigfoot.com>

 Date:  Wed, 05 Jan 2000 19:03:03 -0600
 To:  hwg-business(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 11:07 05-01-2000 -0700, Tony King wrote:
>Granted, I don't pay per minute charges for Internet, but many people
>do.

And, of course, time is money in many other ways. Downloading spam still
wastes your time. Even if you don't have to pay your ISP, you still pay for
the time in other ways. My estimate is about 20-30 minutes of my time is
wasted every day just by waiting for spam to download. Additional time is
wasted going through it all since I have to look at (almost) every message
to see if it is a legitimate message or spam.

Not to mention that paper junk mail is generally targeted. I rarely get
junk mail about something I have no interest in. With spam, I get offers to
lose weight (my weight is fine) and nonsense like that. Or, I get filth I
am not only interested in but find offensive (and if I had children, I'd
probably find it outright criminal).

I just wish the spammers gave you their real email. Most of them are
gullible, and would be a good target of counter-advertising. :-)

Adam